There is a shortage of affordable short-term housing in New York City yet cardiac patients and their families face immediate need for such housing during a period of immense emotional stress.
Why do patients travel to NYC for cardiac/medical care?
- Patients from all over the country and across the world come to New York City because the city is home to several of the top heart centers on the planet.
- According to the U.S. News, with respect to specialty “heart and heart surgery”, New York Presbyterian Hospital is the 7th best in the nation, NYU Langone Medical Center is the 11th best in the nation, and Mt. Sinai Medical Center is the 18th best in the nation.
- For many patients, coming to New York City is a last resort and most are willing to travel long distances and take any measures necessary to receive the best possible medical care and treatment.
In addition to the stress of traveling to an unfamiliar city is the added financial pressure of massive medical costs often associated with heart-related surgeries.
What are the medical and non-medical costs?
- Costs vary from patients and between various procedures, however in virtually all instances they constitute a tremendous financial burden to patients and their families. By the time they are in dire need of financial help, many have already experienced astronomical medical bills.
- Although some immense costs can sometimes be defrayed by insurance coverage and other funding sources, the remaining portion, including housing and everyday living expenses, remain inaccessibly high for most cardiac patients and their families – especially in NYC.
- Rent and hotel expenses in NYC are the highest in the country at an average of $199 per day and many families are unable to fund these expenses, which can range from just over $2,000 to over $6,000 – exclusive of meals, transportation and incidental living expenses.
Many families have contacted Harboring Hearts Housing to find affordable housing while their loved ones receive medical care in New York City.
Harboring Hearts Housing believes anyone going through cardiac procedures should have access to top medical care regardless of their financial situation. We would like to eliminate the hurdles of coming to New York City for such care by providing an affordable, home-like environment that would alleviate both the emotional and financial stress of traveling long distances for requisite medical care. Our hope is that Harboring Hearts Housing will not only help provide temporary housing for patients and caregivers, but also help create a safe haven and a community of support for them.
If you need assistance in finding housing in New York while seeking treatment for a heart transplant or other cardiac condition, please have your social worker contact us at 866.958.2536 ext. 1 or [email protected].